hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From "Thanh Hong Dai" <hdth...@tma.com.vn>
Subject Documentation inconsistency about append write in HDFS
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2015 03:49:35 GMT
In the latest version of the documentation
Design.html#Simple_Coherency_Model and also documentation for version 2.x),
it's mentioned that "A file once created, written, and closed need not be
changed. " and "There is a plan to support appending-writes to files in the

However, as far as I know, HDFS has supported append write since 0.21, based
on this JIRA (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-265) and the old
version of the documentation in 2012
s/current/hdfs_design.html#Appending-Writes+and+File+Syncs> )

Various posts on the Internet also suggests that append write has been
available in HDFS, and will always be available in Hadoop version 2 branch.

Can we update the documentation to reflect the most recent change? (Or will
append write be deprecated or is it not ready for production use?)

View raw message