hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Jay Vyas <jayunit100.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New to this group.
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2015 19:37:08 GMT
Many demos out there are for the business community...

For a demonstration of hadoop at a finer grained level, how it's deployed, packaged, installed
and used, for a developer who wants to learn hadoop "the hard way",

I'd suggest :

1 - Getting Apache bigtop stood up on VMs, and
2 - running the BigPetStore application , which is meant to demonstrate end to end building
testing and deployment of a hadoop batch analytics system with mapreduce, pig, and mahout.

This will also expose you to puppet, gradle, vagrant, all in a big data app which solves Real
world problems like jar dependencies and multiple ecosystem components.

Since BPS generates its own data, you don't  waste time worrying about external data sets,
Twitter credentials, etc, and can test both on your laptop and on a 100 node cluster (similar
to teragen but for the whole ecosystem).

Since it features integration tests and tested on Bigtops hadoop distribution,  (which is
100% pure Apache based), it's imo the purest learning source, not blurred with company specific
downloads or branding.

Disclaimer : Of course I'm biased as I work on it... :)  but we've been working hard to make
bigtop easily consumable as a gateway drug to bigdata processing, and if you have solid linux
and Java background, im sure others would agree it's great place to get immersed in the hadoop
ecosystem.

> On Jan 2, 2015, at 1:05 PM, Krish Donald <gotomypc27@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I would like to work on some kind of case studies like I have seen couple on Horton works
like twitter sentiment analysis, web log analysis etc.

> But if somebody can give idea about other case studies which can be worked upon and can
be put in resume later .
> As I don't have real time project experience.
>
>> On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 10:33 AM, Ted Yu <yuzhihong@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You can search for Open JIRAs which are related to admin. Here is an example query:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9642?jql=project%20%3D%20HADOOP%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open%20AND%20text%20~%20%22admin%22
>>
>> FYI
>>
>>> On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 10:24 AM, Krish Donald <gotomypc27@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have fair understanding of hadoop eco system...
>>> I have setup multinode cluster using VMs in my personal laptop for Hadoop 2.0
.
>>> But beyond that i would like to work on some project to get a good hold on the
subject.

>>> I basically would like to go to into Hadoop Administartion side as my backgroud
is RDBMS databases Admnistrator .