hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
Subject RE: HBase metadata
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2014 16:43:23 GMT
Those look intriguing.  But what do people actually use today?  Is it all application-specific
coding?  Hive?
John

From: Mirko Kämpf [mailto:mirko.kaempf@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 10:12 AM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: HBase metadata

Hi John,
I suggest the project: http://www.kiji.org/

or even the brand new: http://phoenix.apache.org/
Cheers,
Mirko

Greetings!

We would like to support HBase in a general manner, having our software connect to any HBase
table and read/write it in a row-oriented fashion.  However, as we explore HBase, the raw
interface is at a very low level -- basically a map from binary record keys to named columns.
 So my question about metadata standards.  What do users mostly do to use HBase for row-oriented
access?  It is always going through Hive?

Thanks
john