hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Anand Murali <anand_vi...@yahoo.com>
Subject Hadoop 1.2.1 or 2.2.0 on Windows - XP-SP2 Not using Cygwin
Date Mon, 20 Jan 2014 07:10:04 GMT
Dear All:

I have been on a discovery cum learning process for the last 2 months, trying to install and
use the above Hadoop packages using Cygwin on the Windows XP platform, after reading a text
book (Hadoop in action - Chuck Lam), where he has suggested using Cygwin to work with a Unix
like environment.

Much to my dismay, I have come across many installation and runtime problems with both Cygwin
and Hadoop and things have been very unstable. I posted this issue on the issue tracker website
and was told that Cygwin is not supported on both Hadoop releases, however, I could build
for a windows environment. I am not sure of how it is done and need assistance and advise.
I shall be thankful for a response and direction. Look forward to an early reply.

Thanks,

 Anand Murali
11/7, 'Anand Vihar', Kandasamy St, Mylapore
Chennai - 600 004, India
Ph: (044)- 28474593/ 43526162 (voicemail)