hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Jiayu Ji <jiayu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop vs Ceph and GlusterFS
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2013 21:01:19 GMT
I am not very familiar with Ceph and GlusterFS, but I know they are
centralized file systems. In this kinds of FS, compute nodes and the
storage nodes are separated. If the size of your data increases, the
network may eventually become the bottleneck.

Hadoop is a framework includes storage (HDFS) and computation (MapReduce).
It aims to bring the computation power to the storage node. In this case,
it assigns tasks to where the data is stored due to its awareness of the
data locality. Also, if the size of data increases, you can add more nodes
to the cluster. By doing that, you achieve almost linear scalability.

--
Jiayu (James) Ji,

Cell: (312)823-7393