hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From just...@cat.utexas.edu
Subject Re: Hadoop 2.2.0 docs
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2013 21:30:00 GMT
OK, that's great. I just saw the r2.2.0 docs go online. Unfortunately they
are the same as the r2.1.0-beta docs at the moment, which aren't quite as
beginner-friendly as the r1.2.1 (stable) docs (e.g.
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/single_node_setup.html).

For instance, the 2.2.0 doc for "Setting up the environment" assumes that
hadoop-common and hadoop-hdfs were downloaded and installed separately,
and then assumes that I have HDFS running. But when I try the link under
HDFS for either single or cluster setup, it just links back to the same
page with no other info. When I try to set up the namenode with bin/hadoop
namenode -format, it says the command is deprecated and to use bin/hdfs
instead. But then bin/hdfs cannot find the classes.

Sounds like the 2.2.0 docs are still in flux and catching up with the
release, so I'll just keep reading the source and using google, and maybe
there will be a 2.2.0-specific beginner tutorial at some point!

Thanks,
Justine