hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From "Smith, Joshua D." <Joshua.Sm...@gd-ais.com>
Subject HDFS Startup Failure due to dfs.namenode.rpc-address and Shared Edits Directory
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2013 19:18:04 GMT
When I try to start HDFS I get an error in the log that says...

org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem: FSNamesystem initialization failed.
java.io.IOException: Invalid configuration: a shared edits dir must not be specified if HA
is not enabled.

I have the following properties configured as per page 12 of the CDH4 High Availability Guide...

When I look at the Hadoop source code that generates the error message I can see that it's
failing because it's looking for dfs.namenode.rpc-address without the suffix. I'm assuming
that the suffix gets lopped off at some point before it gets pulled up and the property is
checked for, so maybe I have the suffix wrong?

In any case I can't get HDFS to start because it's looking for a property that I don't have
in the truncated for and it doesn't seem to be finding the form of it with the suffix. Any
assistance would be most appreciated.

View raw message