hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Greg Bledsoe <g...@personal.com>
Subject Re: Why Hadoop force using DNS?
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2013 14:40:31 GMT
I can third this concern.  What purpose does this complexity increasing requirement serve?
 Why not remove it?

Greg Bledsoe

From: 武泽胜 <wuzesheng@xiaomi.com<mailto:wuzesheng@xiaomi.com>>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 08:21:51 -0500
To: "user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>" <user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Why Hadoop force using DNS?

I have the same confusion, anyone who can reply to this will be very appreciated.

From: Elazar Leibovich <elazarl@gmail.com<mailto:elazarl@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:51 AM
To: user <user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>>
Subject: Why Hadoop force using DNS?

Looking at Hadoop source you can see that Hadoop relies on the fact each node has resolvable
name.

For example, Hadoop 2 namenode reverse look the up of each node that connects to it. Also,
there's no way way to tell a database to advertise an UP as it's address. Setting datanode.network.interface
to, say, eth1, would cause Hadoop to reverse lookup UPs on eth1 and advertise the result.

Why is that? Using plain IPs is simple to set up, and I can't see a reason not to support
them?