hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Chris Embree <cemb...@gmail.com>
Subject How bad is this? :)
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 02:12:19 GMT
Hey Hadoop smart folks....

I have a tendency to seek optimum performance given my understanding, so
that led to me "brilliant" decision.  We settled on EXT4 for our underlying
FS for HDFS.   Greedy for speed I thought, let's turn the journal off and
gain the speed benefits.  After all, I have 3 copies of the data.

How much does this bother you, given we have a 21 node prod and only 10
node dev cluster.

I'm embarrassed to say I did not capture good pre and post change I/O.  In
my simple brain, not writing to journal just screams improved I/O.

Don't be shy, tell me how badly I have done bad things. (I originally said
"screwed the pooch" but I reconsidered our > USA audience. ;)

If I'm not incredibly wrong, should we consider higher speed (less safe)
file systems?

Correct/support my thinking.
Chris