hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Curtis Ullerich <curtuller...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Compile Just a Subproject
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2013 18:47:20 GMT
Hi Chris,

I really appreciate the response. What you described is what I initially
tried. The changes never seem to take effect though. Here's what I've done
(this is Windows):

cd %hadoop_install_dir%
mvn clean package -DskipTests
mvn install -DskipTests

--- modify the code in distributed shell's Client.java ---

cd hadoop-yarn-project\hadoop-yarn\hadoop-yarn-applications\hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell
mvn clean
mvn package -DskipTests
mvn install -DskipTests

Then I run the jar, just as before. I've just been changing log statements
to see if the changes worked. They don't--the output doesn't change after
doing this rebuild. I've also tried clearing the files put on HDFS in my
user directory in case that was the issue. I've taken a more thorough look
at BUILDING.txt and I seemed to be consistent with the procedures described
there. Am I missing anything else? I've tried restarting yarn and dfs,
though I didn't think that would matter.

Thanks,
Curtis

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Chris Nauroth <cnauroth@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> Hi Curtis,
>
> I handle this by running "mvn install -DskipTests" once from the root of
> the whole hadoop project to install the sub-modules in my local Maven
> repository.  Then, you can change your working directory to any sub-module
> (like distributed shell) and run a successful Maven build for just that
> sub-module.  Full details are in the BUILDING.txt file in the root of the
> hadoop project.  Look for the section titled "Building components
> separately".  I hope this helps.
>
> Chris Nauroth
> Hortonworks
> http://hortonworks.com/
>

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Curtis Ullerich <curtullerich@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> What is the way to compile just a subproject of Hadoop with Maven
>> (without rebuilding parent modules)? In my case I'm wondering about
>> DistributedShell. I thought that this<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1114026/maven-modules-building-a-single-specific-module/3899772#3899772>would
have worked but no changes seem to take effect after building this