hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Resource manager question - Yarn
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2013 21:07:53 GMT
The reason is that you don't want a socket to the RM machine to be held up - we expect to have
thousands of AMs running concurrently. Essentially a blocking call could result in a DoS attack
on the RM.

Eventually, YARN will move to async RPC and won't have this quirk.

Arun

On Jun 7, 2013, at 8:54 AM, Rahul Bhattacharjee wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a basic question related to RM of Yarn. Why is the allocate container request
to RM doesn't always return with containers. The call can actually block and return when containers
are available.

> Scenario :
>
> I launcher AM.
> The AM requests for 5 containers.
> The response returns without any containers.
>
> I send the request for containers , again and again and the RM returns containers (sometimes
less than the number that I have asked for).

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.