hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Sanjay Subramanian <Sanjay.Subraman...@wizecommerce.com>
Subject Re: Where to begin from??
Date Fri, 24 May 2013 03:03:57 GMT
I agree with Chris…don't worry about what the technology is called Hadoop , Big table, Lucene,
Hive….Model the problem and see what the solution could be….that’s very important

And Lokesh please don't mind…we are writing to u perhaps stuff that u don't want to hear
but its an important real perspective

To illustrate what I mean let me give u a few problems to think about and see how u would
solve them….

1. Before Microsoft took over Skype at least this feature used to be there and the feature
is like this……u type the name of a person and it used to come back with some search results
in milliseconds often searching close to a billion names…….How would u design such a search
architecture ?

2.  In 2012, say 50 million users (cookie based) searched Macys.com on a SALES weekend and
say 20,000 bought $100 dollar shoes. Now this year 2013 on that SALES weekend 60 million users
(cookie based) are buying on the website….You want to give a 25% extra reward to only those
cookies that were from last year…So u are looking for an intersection set of possibly 20,000
cookies in two sets - 50million and 60 million…..How would u solve this problem within milli
seconds  ?

3. Last my favorite….The Postal Services department wants to think of new business ideas
to avoid bankruptcy…One idea I have is they have zillion small delivery vans that go to
each street in the country….Say I lease out the space to BIG wireless phone providers and
promise them them that I will mount wireless signal strength measurement systems on these
vans and I will provide them data 3  times a day…how will u devise a solution to analyse
and store data ?

I am sure if u look around in India as well u will see a lot of situations where u want to
solve a problem….

As Chris says , think about the problem u want to solve, then model the solutions and pick
the best one…

On the flip side….I can tell u it will still be a few years till many Banks and Stock trading
houses will believe in Cassandra and Hbase for OLTP because that data is critical……If
your timeline in Facebook does not show a photo , its possibly OK but if your 1 million deposit
I a bank does not show up for days or suddenly vanishes - u r possibly not going to take that
lightly…..

Ok enough RAMBLING….

Good luck

sanjay