hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From "Alex O'Ree" <spyhunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Inconsistent performance numbers with increased nodes
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2013 18:28:14 GMT
Hi I'm running a 10 data node cluster and was experimenting with
adding additional nodes to it. I've done some performance bench
marking with 10 nodes and have compared them to 12 nodes and I've
found some rather interesting and inconsistent results. The behavior
I'm seeing is that during some of the 12 node bench runs, I'm actually
seeing two different performance levels, one set at a different level
than 10 nodes, and another at exactly the performance of a 10 node
cluster. I've eliminated any possibility of networking problems or
problems related to a specific machine. Before switching to a 12 node
cluster, the initial cluster was destroyed, rebuilt and the dataset
was added in. This should have yielded an evenly balanced cluster
(confirmed through the web app)

So my question is, is this an expected behavior or is something else
going on here that I'm not aware of. For reference, I'm using 1.0.8 on
CentOS 6.3 x64

View raw message