hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Nikhil <mnik...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Get Hadoop cluster topology
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2013 20:21:21 GMT
>From http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh/3/hadoop/hdfs_user_guide.html
(Assuming you are using Cloudera Hadoop Distribution 3)

$ hadoop dfsadmin -refreshNodes # would help do the same.

-refreshNodes : Updates the set of hosts allowed to connect to namenode.
Re-reads the config file to update values defined by dfs.hosts and
dfs.host.exclude and reads the entires (hostnames) in those files. Each
entry not defined in dfs.hosts but in dfs.hosts.exclude is decommissioned.
Each entry defined in dfs.hosts and also in dfs.host.exclude is stopped
from decommissioning if it has aleady been marked for decommission. Entires
not present in both the lists are decommissioned.

There is also -printTopology switch useful to look at the current topology
view.

-printTopology : Print the topology of the cluster. Display a tree of racks
and datanodes attached to the tracks as viewed by the NameNode.

In most cases, however, I have seen that updating the topology with wrong
information such as rackno, tabs/spaces would get the master services in
soup and in such cases, it would mandate a restart.
I have tried looking for ways to refresh of the topology cache on both
namenode/jobtracker without the need for bouncing, however this can get
little tricky.

for more information, see:
http://grokbase.com/t/hadoop/common-user/121yqsme6v/refresh-namenode-topology-cache
.