hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From John Meza <j_meza...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: copytolocal vs distcp
Date Sat, 09 Mar 2013 19:17:27 GMT
The file:///fs4/outdir solved the outfile location issue. Dhaval Shah made the same suggestion.
That's good.But getting Map exceptions now. Given your comment about conventional NAS this
all may be for naught. Let me describe my -planned- workflow:-export data from hdfs to local-dir
(which is a directory on a lun off my Netapp filer)-copy to portable disk array, send to cloud
provider-import to hdfs
Q:all Maps output to local dirs on each datanode?Q:20 dns writing to same lun will have multiple
issues:  -possible directory naming collisions?  -bottleneck at controller on filer? I think
yes.Q:i should just start using copytolocal now, hopefully it will complete by Monday am.
thanksJohn
From: tdunning@maprtech.com
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 14:00:52 -0500
Subject: Re: copytolocal vs distcp
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

Try file:///fs4/outdir
Symbolic links can also help.
Note that this file system has to be visible with the same path on all hosts.  You may also
be bandwidth limited by whatever is serving that file system.

There are cases where you won't be limited by the file system.  MapR, for instance, has a
completely distributed NFS server and specialized file systems like lustre might also have
distributed network traffic. If you are just writing to a conventional NAS, however, this
is unlikely to win much relative to copytolocal simply due to bottlenecking.