hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Mike Spreitzer <mspre...@us.ibm.com>
Subject How to make a MapReduce job with no input?
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 21:16:27 GMT
I am using the mapred API of Hadoop 1.0.  I want to make a job that does
not really depend on any input (the job conf supplies all the info needed
in Mapper).  What is a good way to do this?

What I have done so far is write a job in which MyMapper.configure(..)
reads all the real input from the JobConf, and MyMapper.map(..) ignores
the given key and value, writing the output implied by the JobConf.  I set
the InputFormat to TextInputFormat and the input paths to be a list of one
filename; the named file contains one line of text (the word "one"),
terminated by a newline.  When I run this job (on Linux, hadoop-1.0.0), I
find it has two map tasks --- one reads the first two bytes of my
non-input file, and other reads the last two bytes of my non-input file!
How can I make a job with just one map task?

View raw message