hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Arko Provo Mukherjee <arkoprovomukher...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Managing space in Master Node
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2013 19:55:41 GMT
Hello Charles,

Thanks a lot for your reply and help!

Yes, the NN data (image, edit files) is kept separate from the data files.
"dfs.name.dir=/hadoop/hdfs/name" whereas "dfs.data.dir=/hadoop/hdfs/data".

Their contents match with the description you specified

Can I safely go ahead and delete all contents from the data dir?

Thanks & regards
Arko

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM, Charles Baker <cbaker@sdl.com> wrote:
> Hey Arko. Glad to hear it worked out for you. Just make sure that your NN's
> image and edit files aren't also (perhaps inadvertently) stored in that
> directory structure. The NameNode image/edit dir contains the following:
>
> drwxr-xr-x 2 hdfs hdfs 4096 Feb 14 17:48 current
> drwxr-xr-x 2 hdfs hdfs 4096 Jul 17  2012 image
> -rw-r--r-- 1 hdfs hdfs    0 Sep 27 12:28 in_use.lock
> drwxr-xr-x 2 hdfs hdfs 4096 Sep 17 23:25 previous.checkpoint
>
> whereas, the DN data dir should contain:
>
> drwxr-xr-x  2 hdfs hdfs 57344 Feb 14 14:04 blocksBeingWritten
> drwxr-xr-x 66 hdfs hdfs  8192 Jan 22 02:44 current
> drwxr-xr-x  2 hdfs hdfs     6 Aug 10  2012 detach
> -rw-r--r--  1 hdfs hdfs     0 Sep 27 11:19 in_use.lock
> -rw-r--r--  1 hdfs hdfs   157 Aug 10  2012 storage
> drwxr-xr-x  2 hdfs hdfs     6 Feb  4 17:34 tmp
>

> It's a good practice to locate the JobTracker and SecondaryNameNode services
> on a different machine than the NN. If you have an opportunity to do so, I
> recommend getting a separate machine for those two services as well.
>
> -Chuck

this email may be confidential and/or legally privileged. It has been sent for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient of this mail, you are
hereby notified that any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please reply to the sender and destroy all copies of
the message.