hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: jobTracker Blacklisted Nodes
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2013 02:18:36 GMT

Overall tasks can fail because of the job itself (bugs or erroneous condition in job's/user's
code) or issues on the node (hardware/system software).

Job level blacklisting accounts for the first type of problems i.e it avoids nodes on which
many tasks of this particular job failed for whatever reason. It is used to make sure that
more tasks of this job don't get launched on the same node.

Cluster level blacklisting accounts for cumulative failures on nodes across all jobs. Used
to heuristically determine generic node issues independent of the jobs.

Thanks,
+Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/