hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Glen Mazza <gma...@talend.com>
Subject Re: Cohesion of Hadoop team?
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2013 17:44:17 GMT
On 01/18/2013 11:58 AM, Suresh Srinivas wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 6:48 AM, Glen Mazza <gmazza@talend.com
> <mailto:gmazza@talend.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi, looking at the derivation of the 0.23.x & 2.0.x branches on
>     one hand, and the 1.x branches on the other, as described here:
>     http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-user/201301.mbox/%3CCD0CAB8B.1098F%25evans%40yahoo-inc.com%3E
>
>     One gets the impression the Hadoop committers are split into two
>     teams, with one team working on 0.23.x/2.0.2 and another team
>     working on 1.x, running the risk of increasingly diverging
>     products eventually competing with each other.  Is that the case?
>

> I am not sure how you came to this conclusion. The way I see it is,
> all the folks are working on trunk. Subset of this work from trunk is
> pushed to older releases such as 1.x or 0.23.x. In Apache Hadoop,
> features always go to trunk first before going to any older releases
> 1.x or 0.23.x. That means trunk is a superset of all the features.
>
>     Is there expected to be a Hadoop 3.0 where the results of the two
>     lines of development will merge or is it increasingly likely the
>     subteams will continue their separate routes?
>

> 2.0.3-alpha, which is the latest release based off of trunk, that is
> in final stage of completion should have all the features that all the
> other releases have. Let me know if there are any exceptions to this
> that you know of.

I had entered a JIRA here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9206 .  The instructions
for single-node setup on 1.1.x are radically different from the
instructions for 0.23 and 2.0.2; furthermore, the JARs and folder
structure of what you get from the 1.1.x download and what you get with
either 0.23.x or 2.0.x-alpha is also considerably different.  The deltas
here, along with Bobby Evans' explanation of the version histories I
linked to above, gave me the impression that 1.x has one team working on
it while the other branches have another.  If that was the case (as
you're not clarifying, it's not) I was then wondering when all
committers would be more or less on the same page again.

Thanks for the clarification.

Glen

--
Glen Mazza