hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Map output compression in Hadoop 1.0.3
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:25:00 GMT
Hi,

The property mapred.output.compress, as its name reads, controls
job-output compression, not intermediate/transient data compression,
which is what you mean by "Map output compression".

Also note that this property is a per job one and can be toggled, if a
user wanted, on/off for each job specifically.

These should be the many ways, exhaustively, for MR1, to turn on "Map
output compression":

1. Set "mapred.compress.map.output" to true in your client's
mapred-site.xml to turn it on for all jobs run from such a client
machine.
2. Set the above in cluster, with <final>true</final> at every node
(JT plus TTs) and restart them, to turn it on for all job, regardless
of what the job itself specifies.
3. Turn it on per-job basis:
3.1. Stable API: JobConf.setCompressMapOutput(true);
3.2. New API: Job.getConfiguration().set("mapred.compress.map.output", true);

--
Harsh J