hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Jon Allen <jayaye...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop 1.0.4 Performance Problem
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2012 22:32:30 GMT
Jie,

Simple answer - I got lucky (though obviously there are thing you need to
have in place to allow you to be lucky).

Before running the upgrade I ran a set of tests to baseline the cluster
performance, e.g. terasort, gridmix and some operational jobs.  Terasort by
itself isn't very realistic as a cluster test but it's nice and simple to
run and is good for regression testing things after a change.

After the upgrade the intention was to run the same tests and show that the
performance hadn't degraded (improved would have been nice but not worse
was the minimum).  When we ran the terasort we found that performance was
about 50% worse - execution time had gone from 40 minutes to 60 minutes.
 As I've said, terasort doesn't provide a realistic view of operational
performance but this showed that something major had changed and we needed
to understand it before going further.  So how to go about diagnosing this

First rule - understand what you're trying to achieve.  It's very easy to
say performance isn't good enough but performance can always be better so
you need to know what's realistic and at what point you're going to stop
tuning things.  I had a previous baseline that I was trying to match so I
knew what I was trying to achieve.

Next thing to do is profile your job and identify where the problem is.  We
had the full job history from the before and after jobs and comparing these
we saw that map performance was fairly consistent as were the reduce sort
and reduce phases.  The problem was with the shuffle, which had gone from
20 minutes pre-upgrade to 40 minutes afterwards.  The important thing here
is to make sure you've got as much information as possible.  If we'd just
kept the overall job time then there would have been a lot more areas to
look at but knowing the problem was with shuffle allowed me to focus effort
in this area.

So what had changed in the shuffle that may have slowed things down.  The
first thing we thought of was that we'd moved from a tarball deployment to
using the RPM so what effect might this have had on things.  Our
operational configuration compresses the map output and in the past we've
had problems with Java compression libraries being used rather than native
ones and this has affected performance.  We knew the RPM deployment had
moved the native library so spent some time confirming to ourselves that
these were being used correctly (but this turned out to not be the
problem).  We then spent time doing some process and server profiling -
using dstat to look at the server bottlenecks and jstack/jmap to check what
the task tracker and reduce processes were doing.  Although not directly
relevant to this particular problem doing this was useful just to get my
head around what Hadoop is doing at various points of the process.

The next bit was one place where I got lucky - I happened to be logged onto
one of the worker nodes when a test job was running and I noticed that
there weren't any reduce tasks running on the server.  This was odd as we'd
submitted more reducers than we have servers so I'd expected at least one
task to be running on each server.  Checking the job tracker log file it
turned out that since the upgrade the job tracker had been submitting
reduce tasks to only 10% of the available nodes.  A different 10% each time
the job was run so clearly the individual task trackers were working OK but
there was something odd going on with the task allocation.  Checking the
job tracker log file showed that before the upgrade tasks had been fairly
evenly distributed so something had changed.  After that it was a case of
digging around the source code to find out which classes were available for
task allocation and what inside them had changed.  This can be quite
daunting but if you're comfortable with Java then it's just a case of
following the calls through the code.  Once I found the cause it was just a
case of working out what my options were for working around it (in this
case turning off the multiple assignment option - I can work out whether I
want to turn it back on in slower time).

Where I think we got very lucky is that we hit this problem.  The
configuration we use for the terasort has just over 1 reducer per worker
node rather than maxing out the available reducer slots.  This decision was
made several years and I can't remember the reasons for it.  If we'd been
using a larger number of reducers then the number of worker nodes in use
would have been similar regardless of the allocation algorithm and so the
performance would have looked similar before and after the upgrade.  We
would have hit this problem eventually but probably not until we started
running user jobs and by then it would be too late to do the intrusive
investigations that were possible now.

Hope this has been useful.

Regards,
Jon