hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Tony Burton <TBur...@SportingIndex.com>
Subject RE: Map output compression in Hadoop 1.0.3
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:37:59 GMT
Also, another point that prompted my initial question: I'd come across "mapred.compress.map.output"
in the documentation, but I wasn't 100% sure if there has been or will be any equivalence
or correspondence between config setting like this one and the naming of the stable and new

For example, we've got o.a.h.mapreduce.Job rather than o.a.h.mapred.JobConf as previously
mentioned, from the "mapred" and "mapreduce" parts of the API.

Are config settings that begin with mapred.* related to the stable API with the implication
that there's an mapreduce.* equivalent (eg mapred.compress.map.output vs mapreduce.compress.map.output),
or am I seeing a connection that doesn't exist?

(Hope that makes sense!)

-----Original Message-----
From: Harsh J [mailto:harsh@cloudera.com]
Sent: 28 November 2012 11:25
To: <user@hadoop.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Map output compression in Hadoop 1.0.3

The property mapred.output.compress, as its name reads, controls job-output compression, not
intermediate/transient data compression, which is what you mean by "Map output compression".

Also note that this property is a per job one and can be toggled, if a user wanted, on/off
for each job specifically.

These should be the many ways, exhaustively, for MR1, to turn on "Map output compression":

1. Set "mapred.compress.map.output" to true in your client's mapred-site.xml to turn it on
for all jobs run from such a client machine.
2. Set the above in cluster, with <final>true</final> at every node (JT plus TTs)
and restart them, to turn it on for all job, regardless of what the job itself specifies.
3. Turn it on per-job basis:
3.1. Stable API: JobConf.setCompressMapOutput(true);
3.2. New API: Job.getConfiguration().set("mapred.compress.map.output", true);

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Tony Burton <TBurton@sportingindex.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Quick question: What's the best way to turn on Map Output Compression
> in Hadoop 1.0.3? The tutorial at
> http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.0.3/mapred_tutorial.html says to use
> JobConf.setCompressMapOutput(boolean), but I'm using
> o.a.h.mapreduce.Job rather than o.a.h.mapred.JobConf.
> Is it simply a case of using getConf.set("mapred.output.compress",
> true) then constructing my Job from the Configuration object, or is
> there more direct way that I've missed?
> Thanks,
> Tony
> ******* P Please consider the environment before printing this email
> or attachments
> This email and any attachments are confidential, protected by
> copyright and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended
> recipient, then the dissemination or copying of this email is
> prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the
> sender by replying by email and then delete the email completely from
> your system. Neither Sporting Index nor the sender accepts
> responsibility for any virus, or any other defect which might affect
> any computer or IT system into which the email is received and/or
> opened. It is the responsibility of the recipient to scan the email
> and no responsibility is accepted for any loss or damage arising in
> any way from receipt or use of this email. Sporting Index Ltd is a
> company registered in England and Wales with company number 2636842,
> whose registered office is at Gateway House, Milverton Street, London, SE11 4AP. Sporting
Index Ltd is authorised and regulated by the UK Financial Services Authority (reg. no.
> 150404) and Gambling Commission (reg. no. 000-027343-R-308898-001).
> Any financial promotion contained herein has been issued and approved
> by Sporting Index Ltd.
> Outbound email has been scanned for viruses and SPAM

Harsh J

Inbound Email has been scanned for viruses and SPAM

View raw message