hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Data block placement in HDFS
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 19:06:24 GMT
I think this deals more with our messed up version numbering then anything.  Hadoop-1.0 is
not a release that is derived from Hadoop 0.21 or 0.22, it comes from the 0.20 line.  Hadoop-2.0
is what comes from v0.21 and 0.22. So Hadoop-2 is going to have this, but Hadoop-1 will not.

--Bobby Evans

From: Zheng Da <zhengda1936@gmail.com<mailto:zhengda1936@gmail.com>>
To: "hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org>" <hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org>>
Subject: Data block placement in HDFS

Hello,

It's interesting to see HDFS provided an interface BlockPlacementPolicy for users to define
their own data placement policy in Hadoop v0.21, v0.22, and I think it's very useful for some
applications. However, I can't find this interface in the latest stable version of Hadoop
v1.0. Is the interface replaced by something else or abandoned completely? If it's abandoned,
could anyone tell me why?

Thanks,
Da