hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Hank Cohen <hank.co...@altior.com>
Subject Changing where HDFS stores its data
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2012 22:47:49 GMT
I am trying to do some testing with different storage configurations for HDFS but I am having
difficulty changing the storage destination without having to re-initialize the whole file
system each time I change things.

What I want to do: Set up and run some test cases with two different local file system configurations.
 Think of it as having different local disks with different performance characteristics.

What I have done so far it to change the xml in core-site.xml to change the hadoop.tmp.dir
property.  Let's call this dir1.
I can set this up and format the file system without any problems, run my tests, shut down
and change core-site.xml again to dir2.
Again I can format dir2 and run my tests OK but when I try to switch back to dir1 I can't
get the namenode to start.  I find that I have to remove all of the directories and subdirectories
from dir1 then reformat and start over with nothing in the file system.

Is there an easy way to do this without having to reinitialize the whole HDFS each time?

Hank Cohen

+1 732-440-1280 x320 Office
+1 510-995-8264  Direct

444 Route 35 South