hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From David Ginzburg <ginz...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Rack decommission
Date Fri, 04 May 2012 10:30:24 GMT

Thank you,

I am a bit confused about the meaning of the state -"Blocks With No Live Replicas".
Could not find documentation.
Can you clarify?

Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 10:44:07 -0500
Subject: Re: Rack decommission
From: ravihadoop@gmail.com
To: hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org

Hi David,

> If a DN is decommissioned and returns, Does the NM update it's block
meta data. If it does,  How does it decide when to update the meta data
map?

I presume you meant "the NN update it's block meta data". The answer is yes. Soon as the NN
decides that a node is dead / decommissioned and that blocks have / will fallen below their
replication factor, it will order more replications. This is what is going to happen when
you decommission the nodes.

When the DNs come back, and they report their blocks to the NN, the NN will realise that the
blocks are over-replicated and will order deletions.

> When I view the "dfsnodelist.jsp?whatNodes=
DECOMMISSIONING"  page, there are many slaves with "Blocks With No Live Replicas"
Obviously depends on how loaded your HDFS was.

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:04 AM, David Ginzburg <ginzman@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi,
I have began decommissioning the servers  in the rack.
When I view the "dfsnodelist.jsp?whatNodes=DECOMMISSIONING"  page, there are many slaves with
"Blocks With No Live Replicas"
Is it possible , even if I have rack awareness configured ?

From: ginzman@hotmail.com
To: hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org; common-user@hadoop.apache.org

Subject: Rack decommission
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 11:49:41 +0000

Hi,

I have a cluster with 4 racks.
I am scheduled to replace one of them, with slave servers included.
The cluster is configured with rack awareness and replication factor is 3.
It is my understanding that on rack aware clusters, block placement policy ensures blocks
are at least on two racks.

I am concerned about decommission of whole rack.

I considered decommission each node in the rack separately and let it balance automatically
 , but I am afraid it will take a lot of time.

If a DN is decommissioned and returns, Does the NM update it's block meta data. If it does,
 How does it decide when to update the meta data map?

Is there a suggested way to decommission a whole rack , I may have missed?