hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Whiting <je...@qualtrics.com>
Subject Re: How to rebuild the shared edits directory
Date Tue, 08 May 2012 23:20:09 GMT
Thanks for being patient and listening to my rants.  I'm excited to see hdfs continue to move

forward.  If the organization I'm working for was willing spend some resources to help speed
this
process up, where should be start looking?  I'm sure there are quite a few jiras on these
issues.

Most of what we've done with the hadoop eco system has been zookeeper and hbase related.

Thanks,
~Jeff

On 5/8/2012 2:46 PM, Todd Lipcon wrote:
> [...]
>> It seems the NN was originally written with the assumption that disks fail
>> and stuff happens.  Hence the ability to have multiple directories store
>> your NN data even though each directory is mostly likely redundant / HA.
>>
>> [start rant]
>>
>> My opinion is that it is a step backwards that the shared edits wasn't
>> written with the same assumptions.  If any one problem can take out your
>> cluster then it isn't HA.  So allowing  a single nfs failure taking down
>> your cluster and saying make nfs HA, just seems to move the HA problem not
>> solve it.  I would expect a true HA solution to be completely self contained
>> within the hadoop ecosystem.  All machines fail...eventually and it needs to
>> be planned for.  At a minimum a failure of the shared edits should only
>> disable fail over and provide a recovery mechanism; Ideally the NN should
>> have been rewritten to be a cluster (similar to zookeeper or ceph) to enable
>> HA.
>>
>> [end rant]
> Like I said earlier in the thread, work is already under way on this
> and should be complete within a number of months.
>
> In many practical deployments, what we have already can provide
> complete HA. In others, like the AWS example you mentioned, we need a
> bit more, and we're working on it. Hang on a bit longer and it will be
> good to go.
>
> -Todd
>
>> Sorry for the rant.  I just really want to see HDFS become complete HA
>> system without caveats.
>>
>> ~Jeff
>>

>> On 5/8/2012 11:44 AM, Todd Lipcon wrote:

>>> Unfortunately that's not the case. If you lose shared edits, your
>>> cluster should shut down. We currently require the NFS direcory to be
>>> highly available itself. This is achievable with even pretty
>>> inexpensive NAS devices from your vendor of choice.
>>>
>>> The reason for this behavior is as follows: if the active node loses
>>> access to the mount, it's unable to distinguish whether the mount
>>> itself died or if the node just had a local issue which broke the
>>> mount. Imagine for example that the NFS client had a bug which caused
>>> the mount to go away. Then, you'd continue running for quite some time
>>> without writing to shared edits. If your NN then crashed, a failover
>>> would cause you to revert to an old version of the namespace, and
>>> you'd have a case of permanent data loss due to divergence of the
>>> image before and after failover.
>>>
>>> There's work under way to remove this restriction which should be
>>> available for general use some time this summer or early fall, if I
>>> had to take a guess on timeline.

>>> Yes, but it's an easy one to resolve. Most of our customers already
>>> have a NAS device in their datacenter, which has dual heads, dual
>>> PDUs, etc, and at least 5 9s of uptime. This HA setup is basically the
>>> same as you see in most enterprise HA systems which rely on shared

ZKFC.
We

No