hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Marcos Ortiz <mlor...@uci.cu>
Subject Re: Retry question
Date Sun, 18 Mar 2012 17:12:41 GMT
HDFS is precisely built with these concerns in mind.
If you read a 60 GB file and the rack goes down, the system
will present to you transparently another copy, based on your
replication factor.
A block can not be available too due to corruption, and in this case,
it can be replicated to other live machines and fix the error with
the fsck utility.

Regards

On 3/18/2012 9:46 AM, Rita wrote:
> My replication factor is 3 and if I were reading data thru libhdfs using
> C is there a retry method? I am reading a 60gb file and what would will
> happen if a rack goes down and the next block isn't available? Will the
> API retry? is there a way t configuration this option?
>

> --

Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda (@marcosluis2186)
  Data Engineer at UCI
  http://marcosluis2186.posterous.com