hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Adding dfs.name.dir
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 03:30:50 GMT
Hey Prem,

Inline.

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:58 AM, Jain, Prem <Premanshu.Jain@netapp.com> wrote:
> Thanks Joey,
>
> So this means, I edit the hdfs-site.xml file to reflect the empty directory, restart
the namenode.

That is correct. Just append the new dir to the list of dfs.name.dir
and restart.

> Will Namenode populate  all the metadata to the  newly added  directory ?

Yes, just ensure the dir is writable by the 'hdfs' user, or the user
that runs the NameNode.

> Just wanted to make sure I do everything right.  While  googling, I also noticed issues
when one of the directories becomes unavailable (NFS mount), HDFS hangs, is this still true
?

> https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/group/cdh-user/msg/aa014cf61dc2daae?

First, that was not a HDFS issue, it was a lockd deadlock condition
when the NFS server went unreachable. Second, that is no longer true
if you are on an updated version of CentOS. IIRC it was a lockd bug in
an earlier version of CentOS 5 (5.3 perhaps, the exact version eludes
me presently), that went away with a fix later. So just make sure you
are using one of the latest stable kernels and the unlock call won't
hang.

--
Harsh J
Customer Ops. Engineer