hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Koji Noguchi <knogu...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: namenode grows overtime
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 23:39:57 GMT
Hi Felix,

Taking  jmap –histo:live <pid> would tell you what’s occupying the heap.

Are you using  UseConcMarkSweepGC?
If yes, and if you see bunch of
  java.net.SocksSocketImpl
  sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl
from jmap histo outputs, try passing    -XX:-CMSConcurrentMTEnabled .

Background: http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7113118

Koji

On 1/18/12 3:23 PM, "felix gao" <gre1600@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi guys,

we are running Hadoop 0.20.2+228, the namenode process's memory grows overtime to occupy over
18GB.  However, if I restart the namenode, it only occupies about 10GB after it is stable.
 I am wondering if there is anyway to figure out what is going on with namenode that causes
it to grow very rapidly and if there are any tools to make the namenode printout some useful
information on what is holding onto that memory.

Thanks,

Felix