hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Combining AVRO files efficiently within HDFS
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2012 16:46:54 GMT
Frank,

That depends on what you mean by combining. It sounds like you are trying to aggregate data
from several days, which may involve doing a join so I would say a MapReduce job is your best
bet.  If you are not going to do any processing at all then why are you trying to combine
them?  Is there something that requires them all to be part of a single file?  MapReduce processing
should be able to handle reading in multiple files just as well as reading in a single file.

--Bobby Evans