hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Query about Backup Node
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:23:55 GMT
There is no BackupNode on Apache Hadoop 1.x (Rename of 0.20.20x series). The documentation
was a mistake, which we've fixed for the next release: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-7297

BackupNode was introduced in 0.21, and is available in the 0.22 release today but it has not
been tested at scale afaik. Am not sure how many users it has presently.

If you are looking for highly available NameNode, its coming via https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-1623
possibly in an update to the 0.23 releases in near future. You can also build the branch http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/branches/HDFS-1623/
to test it out.

Hope this helps.

On 20-Jan-2012, at 3:08 PM, Stuti Awasthi wrote:

> Hi all,
> I want to test Backup Node in Hadoop 1.0.0 for my 2 node cluster. Say machine A is master
and machine B I want to setup as Backup node. I removed entry from "masters" file so that
no SNN is started. I configured both machines similarly just for testing want dfs to be started
on machine A and backup started on B.

> hdfs-site.xml:
> <property>
>     <name>dfs.backup.address</name>
>     <value>B</value>
> </property>
>
> Slaves File:
>
> Now I format machine A and start dfs :
> ./hadoop namenode -format
> ./start-dfs.sh
>
> But I am not sure if Backup node is started. I think I am missing something. How to get
this working and test Backup node.

> Thanks
>

> ::DISCLAIMER::

named recipient(s) only.
> It shall not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Any views
or opinions presented in
> this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the opinions
of HCL or its affiliates.
> Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution
and / or publication of
> this message without the prior written consent of the author of this e-mail is strictly
prohibited. If you have
> received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before
opening any mail and

Harsh J
Customer Ops. Engineer, Cloudera