hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop HDFS Backup/Restore Solutions
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 22:15:35 GMT
On Jan 3, 2012, at 2:07 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:

> MapR provides this out of the box in a completely Hadoop compatible environment.

Does it support *secure* Hadoop clusters?

Arun

> Doing this with straight Hadoop involves a fair bit of baling wire.
>
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 1:10 PM, alo alt <wget.null@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mac,
>
> hdfs has at the moment no solution for an complete backup- and restore process like ITL
or ISO9000. An strategy could be to "park" the data from hdfs do you want to backup on tape
with "distcp" to another backup cluster and snapshot from them with SAN mechanism. Here the
DN store has to be located on the SAN box.

> - Alex
>
> On Tuesday, January 3, 2012, Mac Noland <mcdonaldnoland@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Good day,
> >
> > I’m guessing this question been asked a myriad of times, but
> > we’re about to get serious with some of our Hadoop implementations so I wanted
> > to re-ask to see if I’m missing anything, or if others happen to know if this
might
> > be on a future road map.
> >
> > For our current storage offerings (e.g. NAS or SAN), we give
> > businesses the opportunity to choose 7, 14, or 45 day “backups” for their
> > storage.   The purpose of the backup isn’t
> > so much as they are worried about losing their current data (we’re RAID’ed
> > and  have some stuff mirrored to remote
> > datacenters), but more so if they were to delete some data today, they can
> > recover from yesterday’s backup.  Or the
> > day before’s backup, or the day before that, etc.  And to be honest, business
units buy a good portion of their backups to make people feel better and fulfill custom contracts.

> > So far with HDFS we haven’t found too many formalized
> > offerings for this specific feature.  While I haven’t done a ton of research,
the best solution I’ve found is an
site http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Backing-up-HDFS-td1019184.html

> > Though we’d have to work through the details of what this
> > would look like for our support folks, it looks like something that could
> > potentially fit into our current model.  We’d basically need to allocate the same
amount of SAN or NAS disk as we
> > have for HDFS, then coordinate a snap on the the SAN or NAS via our traditional
> > methods.  Not sure what a restore would
> > look like, other than we could give the end users read access to the NAS or SAN
> > mounts so they can pick through what they need to recover and let them figure
> > out how to get it back into HDFS.
> >
> > For use cases like ours where we’d need multi-day backups to
> > fulfill business needs, is this kind of what people are thinking or doing?  Moreover,
are there any things in the Hadoop