hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: File edit in Hadoop
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 17:28:51 GMT
On Jan 3, 2012, at 7:52 PM, M. C. Srivas wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Arun C Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Stuti - it's best to stick to questions about Apache Hadoop on *@hadoop.apache.org lists.
The Apache Hadoop mailing lists exist to help users and developers of Apache Hadoop.

> this is an open forum, and if questions come up about  CDH or MapR  (or Hortonworks)
or any other vendor's software or anyone's research that does similar things as Apache Hadoop,
it is quite fair to discuss it here.   Instead of trying to curtail such conversations, feel
free to point out advantages and disadvantages of any such work ... we will all benefit.

Again, ASF lists exist to help users and developers of ASF software.

If you want to participate as a user or help improve the software you are very welcome. If
you want to provide constructive feedback on how we can improve ASF software you are more
than welcome.

Other than these technical discussions, I don't see why ASF lists should be used to discuss
or market products of _any_ vendor for several good reasons:
# ASF developer community cannot help users of vendor-specific products for obvious reasons.

# It could also lead to vendors spreading FUD about the ASF project while downplaying the
deficiencies of their products for their own gain.

Of course, feel free to point this out to others yourself.

Arun