hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Mac Noland <mcdonaldnol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop HDFS Backup/Restore Solutions
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 21:31:43 GMT

Thanks for the reply Alex.  To make sure I understand:

1) "park" the data by sending it  over to a different cluster on a schedule (e.g. nightly
is what we offer today on most things).
2) then from this secondary cluster, which is sitting idle after the distcp, do a copy local
to a NFS mount pointed at SAN or NAS.
3) Then with some type of coordination (so you're not copying local when the backup happens),
have the SAN or NAS device snap the data for backup.

A simple restore process would be then to allow users read access to the NFS mounted storage
so they can pick and choose what they want to recover via the SAN or NAS's snapshot feature
- or after a "restore" to the local file system is completed by the support folks if they
are using one of our older systems.

Is that about right?

Mac

________________________________
From: alo alt <wget.null@googlemail.com>
To: "hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org" <hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org>; Mac Noland <mcdonaldnoland@yahoo.com>

Sent: Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:10 PM
Subject: Re: Hadoop HDFS Backup/Restore Solutions

Hi Mac,

hdfs has at the moment no solution for an complete backup- and restore process like ITL or
ISO9000. An strategy could be to "park" the data from hdfs do you want to backup on tape with
"distcp" to another backup cluster and snapshot from them with SAN mechanism. Here the DN
store has to be located on the SAN box.

- Alex

On Tuesday, January 3, 2012, Mac Noland <mcdonaldnoland@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I’m guessing this question been asked a myriad of times, but
> we’re about to get serious with some of our Hadoop implementations so I wanted
> to re-ask to see if I’m missing anything, or if others happen to know if this might
> be on a future road map.
>
> For our current storage offerings (e.g. NAS or SAN), we give
> businesses the opportunity to choose 7, 14, or 45 day “backups” for their
> storage.   The purpose of the backup isn’t
> so much as they are worried about losing their current data (we’re RAID’ed
> and  have some stuff mirrored to remote
> datacenters), but more so if they were to delete some data today, they can
> recover from yesterday’s backup.  Or the
> day before’s backup, or the day before that, etc.  And to be honest, business units
buy a good portion of their backups to make people feel better and fulfill custom contracts.

http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Backing-up-HDFS-td1019184.html

> Though we’d have to work through the details of what this
> would look like for our support folks, it looks like something that could
> potentially fit into our current model.  We’d basically need to allocate the same
amount of SAN or NAS disk as we
> have for HDFS, then coordinate a snap on the the SAN or NAS via our traditional
> methods.  Not sure what a restore would
> look like, other than we could give the end users read access to the NAS or SAN
> mounts so they can pick through what they need to recover and let them figure
> out how to get it back into HDFS.
>
> For use cases like ours where we’d need multi-day backups to
> fulfill business needs, is this kind of what people are thinking or doing?  Moreover,
are there any things in the Hadoop

--

Alexander Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

P Think of the environment: please don't print this email unless you really need to.