hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Charles Earl <charlesce...@me.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop Security
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2011 15:00:33 GMT
Hi,
I have not investigated it, but there is a project
  http://code.google.com/p/hadoop-lafs/
providing integration between Tahoe-LAFS encrypted FS and Hadoop.
On Nov 28, 2011, at 9:54 AM, Praveen Sripati wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > 3. Is any kind of encryption is handled in hadoop at the time of storing the files
in HDFS.

> You could define a compression codec that does the encryption. Check the below thread
for more details.

> http://www.mail-archive.com/common-user@hadoop.apache.org/msg06229.html
>
> Thanks,
> Praveen
>
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Harsh J <harsh@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Apache Hadoop 0.20.2 did not have security features in it. You'd need
> 0.20.203 at least, if not one of the current CDH3/0.20.205 (Both of
> which also carry 0.20-append along with 0.20-security).
>
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Stuti Awasthi <stutiawasthi@hcl.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Alexander for this info.
> > Currently I am using Apache Hadoop version 0.20.2 and not cloudera’s Hadoop version.
I read that Apache Hadoop 0.20.205 supports Security. Any thoughts on that.
> > Since currently I am using Apache Hadoop and quite familiar with it so I would like
to use it some more before using CDH.

very sure about this so I wanted to discuss this topic in forum.
> > As we know that Hadoop provide its security using Filesystem permissions like chown,
chmod etc.

> > 1. Is Kerberos or any security algo is implemented in the code so that we can authenticate
or authorize Hadoop.?
> > 2. Can we use LDAP for authentication and Authorization in Hadoop
> > 3. Is any kind of encryption is handled in hadoop at the time of storing the files
in HDFS.

> > Can anyone please provide me some good links to read on Hadoop Security
> >
> > Regards,
> > Stuti Awasthi
> >
> > ::DISCLAIMER::
> > -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended
for the named recipient(s) only.
> > It shall not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Any
views or opinions presented in
> > this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the opinions
of HCL or its affiliates.
> > Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution
and / or publication of
> > this message without the prior written consent of the author of this e-mail is strictly
prohibited. If you have
> > received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately.
Before opening any mail and