hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Uma Maheswara Rao G <mahesw...@huawei.com>
Subject RE: Clarification on federated HDFS
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2011 05:21:19 GMT
Hey Shesha,

In Fedatated HDFS, same DataNodes can work with multiple NameNode.

Where as in your setup, complete cluster itself is different.

I would suggest you to take a look at HDFS-2471, Suresh has explained very neet and breifly
here.

Regards,

Uma

________________________________
From: Sesha Kumar [sesha911@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2011 9:05 AM
To: hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Clarification on federated HDFS

Hi guys,

Is Federated HDFS same as having a set of individual Hadoop Clusters, each managing its own
namespace and knowing nothing about the existence of other clusters (but having separate set
of data nodes instead of a common pool)? Assuming we have something similar to ViewFS which
provides a single global namespace combining the namespaces of each namenode and it also provides
some facility to add new namenodes to the setup.

What are the differences between Federated HDFS and the above given setup?