hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Uma Maheswara Rao G <mahesw...@huawei.com>
Subject RE: Load balancing HDFS
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2011 13:02:52 GMT
Default blockplacement policy will check the remaining space like following.

If the remaining space in that node is greater than blksize*MIN_BLKS_FOR_WRITE (default 5)
, then it will treat that node as good.

I think the option may be is to run the balancer to move the blocks based on DN utilization,
in-between after some jobs completed... I am not sure this can work with your requirements.

Regards,

Uma

________________________________
From: Lior Schachter [liorsav@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:55 PM
To: hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Load balancing HDFS

Hi all,
We currently have a 10 nodes cluster with 6TB per machine.
We are buying few more nodes and considering to have only 3TB per machine.

By default HDFS assigns blocks according to used capacity, percentage wise.
This means that old nodes will contain more data.
We prefer that the nodes (6TB, 3TB) will be balanced by actual used space so M/R jobs will
work better.
We don't expect to exceed the 3TB limit (buy more machines).

Thanks,
Lior