hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From "shanmuganathan.r" <shanmuganatha...@zohocorp.com>
Subject Secondary namenode fsimage concept
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2011 05:57:58 GMT

Hi All,

            I have a doubt in hadoop secondary namenode concept . Please correct if the following
statements are wrong .

The namenode hosts the fsimage and edit log files. The secondary namenode hosts the fsimage
file only. At the time of checkpoint the edit log file is transferred to the secondary namenode
and the both files are merged, Then the updated fsimage file is transferred to the namenode
. Is it correct?

If we run the secondary namenode in separate machine , then both machines contain the fsimage
file . Namenode only contains the editlog file. Is it true?

Thanks R.Shanmuganathan