hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Per Steffensen <st...@designware.dk>
Subject Re: HDFS vs software RAID like md(adm)
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2011 07:30:03 GMT
Norman Maurer skrev:
> You should keep in mind that HDFS is not POSIX conform so you will
> have a hard time to use it as "real fs". I know there is a fuse driver

Guess there is a few solutions http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/MountableHDFS
An alternative would be to write the file-accessing code directly
against the HDFS filesystem og perhaps against another VFS
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_file_system), than what mounting
gives us through the FUSE VFS
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_in_Userspace) - of course a VFS
that has a port to HDFS (e.g. this
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-1213) port to the Apache
Commons VFS (http://commons.apache.org/vfs/))
> for it but I would not use it for heavy usage.
Ok, thanks. It will be used for heavy usage. A good cons.
>  Also HDFS is not really
> a good fit for random access at all.

Also a good cons.
> If you really need a POSIX fs I would recomment you to have a look at
> DRBD or glusterfs..

Thanks. I will have a look at those.