HDFS is not a normal file system.  Instead highly optimized for running map-reduce.  As such, it uses replicated storage but imposes a write-once model on files.

This probably makes it unsuitable as a primary storage for VM's.

What you need is either a conventional networked storage device or if Hadoop-like capabilities are important then something like MapR which allows complete NFS access to the file system while still being compatible with Hadoop for running map-reduce programs.