hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Bean <jwfb...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Changing dfs.block.size
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 19:29:50 GMT
Sorry, that's rep factor and not blocksize. I think you need to copy the files.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 6, 2011, at 12:09 PM, "J. Ryan Earl" <oss@jryanearl.us> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> So I have a question about changing dfs.block.size in $HADOOP_HOME/conf/hdfs-site.xml.
 I understand that when files are created, blocksizes can be modified from default.  What
happens if you modify the blocksize of an existing HDFS site?  Do newly created files get
the default blocksize and old files remain the same?  Is there a way to change the blocksize
of existing files; I'm assuming you could write MapReduce job to do it, but any build in facilities?