hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: A question mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:15:15 GMT

The mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum is a TaskTracker property and
can't be mutated per job. It defines the limit of parallel map tasks
to run given any scenario, and that's about it -- Jobs can't affect

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Florin P <florinpico@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>  I've read about mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum that represents the maximum number
of map tasks that will be run simultaneously by a task tracker. Given the following scenario:
> 1. You have a job fair scheduler
> 2. Two running Map/Reduce jobs with different values of mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum
(for example MR_1 with
> mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum = 3
> and MR_2 with mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum = 1)
> Under these circumstances, how tasktracker will handle the two MR jobs regarding the
number of maps that will be executed in parallel?
> Please explain what could be a possible behavior of the tasktraker in the above scenario.
>  Thank you.
> Regards,
>  Florin

Harsh J