hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Time Less <timelessn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Datanode Shows Way Too Much Space Available
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 23:34:04 GMT
Thanks for the replies, all. I think I might've at one point set multiple
directories all backed by the same physical hardware (when trying to salvage
the data stored in /tmp problem).

I can't find that now, but perhaps I fixed the config and haven't yet
bounced the datanode. I'll check on that at some point in the near future.

On another note:Don't use space reported in the GUI as an indicator of
> cluster health.  The situation you are referencing can happen even when the
> correct capacity is reported for a node.    You have to keep in mind that
> balancing load/data between nodes is more of a manual process (via running
> the balancer).  So just because the namenode knows how much space is on each
> node, that doesn't mean that data will be evenly distributed.

Aaah. Interesting. Okay, I'll not trust the GUI anymore after this point.

--
Tim