hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Florin P <florinp...@yahoo.com>
Subject When rmr and rm strike
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 08:50:45 GMT
Hello!
  I'm using the hadoop version from cloudera  hadoop-core-0.20.2-cdh3u1-SNAPSHOT.jar.
   Today I've made a mistake. I have deleted my user from HDFS with the command
   hadoop fs -rmr /user/my_user

No question: are you sure to delete? Are you really sure?
So panic...what to do? How can I recover my lost data?
  From the above real scenario, the following improvements and questions can incur:
1. Add a question when you are deleting a folder or a file, such as "Are you sure you want
to delete X?"
2. In order to automate the delete process and surpass the above question, add an option to
pass the answer to it (sometimes you need this feature)
3. How can recover a deleted "user" with its associated data (in my case "my_user")
4. Where goes the data from a deleted folder with the "rmr" otion?
5. Where goes the data from a deleted folder with the "rm" otion?
6. How can be recovered (undeleted) the data deleted from question 4 and 5?

Thank you for your answers.

Kind regards,
 Florin