hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: HDFS Corruption: How to Troubleshoot or Determine Root Cause?
Date Thu, 19 May 2011 02:51:13 GMT
I've filed a JIRA and patch for this issue:

Thanks for the feedback, all.

-Todd

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Jonathan Disher <jdisher@parad.net> wrote:
> On May 18, 2011, at 4:54 PM, Aaron Eng wrote:
>> Case in point, I noted a while ago that when you run the namenode -format command,
it only accepts a capital Y (or lower case, can't remember), and it fails silently if you
give the wrong case.  I didn't particularly care enough to fix it, having already learned
my lesson.  You'll find lots of these rough edges through hadoop, it is not a user firendly,
out-of-the-box enterprise-ready product.

> It's capital.
>
> You know, when I built my Archive cluster, I fought this for two hours, figuring something
was hosed in my configuration, before I finally figured it out.

> It's kind of an embarrassing bug, first-semester Java students know how to work around
it (believe me, I've only taken one semester of Java!)

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera