hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Matthew Foley <ma...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: more replicas on a single node
Date Tue, 10 May 2011 16:59:24 GMT
Hi Ferdy,
I'm not aware of anyone running this way in production, but for test purposes it is often
useful to run two DataNodes on a single physical server.  It works fine, you just need to
give the two services different HADOOP_CONF_DIR values with modified port numbers and storage
directories.  I've previously posted recipes for doing those configurations, but the spam
filter is bouncing messages from me containing the link, so just go to the Apache list archive
at http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-hdfs-user/ and browse to my email of Thu,
16 Sep 2010 00:45:23 GMT, for a discussion of the details.

If you give the two DN control of separate subsets of disks, it will support your scenario
below.
--Matt