hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Disher <jdis...@parad.net>
Subject Re: HDFS Corruption: How to Troubleshoot or Determine Root Cause?
Date Thu, 19 May 2011 02:46:01 GMT
On May 18, 2011, at 4:54 PM, Aaron Eng wrote:
> Case in point, I noted a while ago that when you run the namenode -format command, it
only accepts a capital Y (or lower case, can't remember), and it fails silently if you give
the wrong case.  I didn't particularly care enough to fix it, having already learned my lesson.
 You'll find lots of these rough edges through hadoop, it is not a user firendly, out-of-the-box
enterprise-ready product.

It's capital.

You know, when I built my Archive cluster, I fought this for two hours, figuring something
was hosed in my configuration, before I finally figured it out.

It's kind of an embarrassing bug, first-semester Java students know how to work around it
(believe me, I've only taken one semester of Java!)

-j