hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Rothstein <andrew.rothst...@gmail.com>
Subject writing throughput vs replication
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2011 16:29:37 GMT
If I'm using a replication factor of 3 and I write a block of data
will my write operation block until the data is present on 3 nodes? or
will it block until the data is present on 1 node and asynchronously
replicate from there to 2 other nodes? If the former, can I write it
with a replication factor of 1 and then tell the NameNode to up the
replication factor on my behalf (asynchronously) recognizing the lower
level of fault tolerance between when I finish writing my first copy
and the time at which the two other replicas are written?

regards, Andrew