hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer <awittena...@linkedin.com>
Subject Re: changing the block size
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 00:16:02 GMT

On Feb 6, 2011, at 2:24 PM, Rita wrote:
> So, what I did was decommission a node, remove all of its data (rm -rf
> data.dir) and stopped the hdfs process on it. Then I made the change to
> conf/hdfs-site.xml on the data node and then I restarted the datanode. I
> then ran a balancer to take effect and I am still getting 64MB files instead
> of 128MB. :-/

	Right.

	As previously mentioned, changing the block size does not change the blocks of the previously
written files.  In other words, changing the block size does not act as a merging function
at the datanode level.  In order to change pre-existing files, you'll need to copy the files
to a new location, delete the old ones, then mv the new versions back.