hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Ayon Sinha <ayonsi...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: changing the block size
Date Sun, 06 Feb 2011 22:31:18 GMT
do this test. do a copyFromLocal to create a new file in hdfs . check the block size of this
new file. it should be 128mb if ur changes took effect.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 6, 2011, at 2:24 PM, Rita <rmorgan466@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bharath,
> So, I have to restart the entire cluster? So, I need to stop the namenode and then run
start-dfs.sh ?

> Ayon,
> So, what I did was decommission a node, remove all of its data (rm -rf data.dir) and
stopped the hdfs process on it. Then I made the change to conf/hdfs-site.xml on the data node
and then I restarted the datanode. I then ran a balancer to take effect and I am still getting
64MB files instead of 128MB. :-/

> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Bharath Mundlapudi <bharathwork@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Can you tell us, how are you verifying if its not working?
>
> Edit
> conf/hdfs-site.xml	dfs.block.size
>

> And restart the cluster.
>
> -Bharath

are guessing at the answers :-/

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Ayon Sinha <ayonsinha@yahoo.com> wrote:
> conf/hdfs-site.xml
>
> restart dfs. I believe it should be sufficient to restart the namenode only, but others
can confirm.

> -Ayon

cluster to 256 megabytes since I deal with large files (over 2GB).  What is the best way to
do this?

> What file do I have to make the change on? Does it have to be applied on the namenode
or each individual data nodes?  What has to get restarted, namenode, datanode, or both?